The ACORN Medical Clinic provides low-cost, high-quality medical care, and social services for people with and without health insurance. Our primary target is patients who aren’t insured and can’t afford private physicians or counselors. The Clinic fulfills its mission with the help of a broad-based core of volunteer physicians, nurses, pharmacists and counselors as well as public and private financial support.
The ACORN Medical Clinic served 913 patients in 4,927 visits in 2017.
The Medical Clinic offers a full range of primary and preventive health services including pediatric care, gynecology, chronic illness management, social services and health education. The Medical Clinic also offers Women’s Breast Health Education Outreach. Specialty care is offered by a host of volunteer health care providers whose specialties include pulmonary medicine, orthopedics, neurology, dermatology, rheumatology, and mental health. Each year private practice physicians and University of Florida faculty doctors, nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, pharmacists, students and others volunteer endless hours of service.
In 2017, this totaled 2,389 hours valued at over $134,000.
Medical Clinic Services
ACORN Medical Clinic provides an extensive list of services including:
- Annual physicals and lab tests
- Care for chronic illnesses such as diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, chronic respiratory disease, and arthritis
- Specialty care in pulmonology, orthopedics, rheumotology, neurology, dermatology, geriatrics
- Screenings for sexually transmitted diseases, cancer, hepatitis and other communicable diseases
- Treatment of minor illnesses or injuries including colds, aches and pains
- Nutrition counseling and weight management
- Work and school physicals
- Mental health counseling, family and marriage counseling
- Case management and referral to other agencies
- Specialized programs for asthma, diabetes, lipid management
- Educational programs and outreach to local schools and churches
Women’s Health Care
- Routine gynecological exams
- Regular breast exams and self breast examination education and mammogram referral
- Family planning services and counseling regarding methods of birth control
- Referral for pre-natal care
- Management of menopause and related problems
- Endometrial biopsies and management of well woman health issues
- Nutritional counseling and weight management
- Screenings and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases
- Treatment for urinary tract infections
For more information, or to make an appointment, please call (352) 485-1133 ext. 10 or 11.